Friday, May 05, 2006

My Last week in office…

These are my last days in office. No, I am not being fired. Neither is the office going shut for not sustaining profit because of me and alike who have worked (or rather not worked) here for 2 years. Just that I am leaving. Not that I could not bear my boss or vice versa (we share a better rapport than ganguly and chappel) but just because an angelic gentlemen who came to test me and some other equally bad candidates for an admission in MBA at NMIMS had favorably responded to my bribe attempts, kidnap-your-daughter / transfer-to-sukhliaa-gaav dhamakis and death threats. I don't know whether he has been fired from his job since but I hope for the better.

Nevertheless, I am through with this place, well almost. The days gone by have been pleasant for me atleast. They have not been able to get any work out of me till-date. The kind of person that I am, (SMART LAZY BUM – read this if u are clueless) I have never been too much into books and that renders me as good at technical as Inzamam is at English. Still I have derived some non-technical learning in this 2 year stint. Let me record these for my future reference :

1. DON'T CALL PIG A PIG : If you see your colleague who scores a perfect 10 in uselessness barometer and gets paid more than you then you need not let him know how strongly you feel about him being a pig. But then there are people like yours truly who cant resist kicking an empty pepsi-can lying on the street. So considering this strong desire, your best attempt to vent your emotion should sound like – "Hey mate, your workability potential shall be increasingly optimally utilized when we exchange a few notes on how scholes' work-life-balance matrix concept juxtaposed with phillips' vertical job enrichment theory result in higher employee efficiency."

2. BE GOOD AT PRESENTATIONS : I would rather prefer to be handcuffed in kaal-kothari and listen to 3 hours of non-stop ila arun songs but not give a 30 min presentation on "Increasing project planning efficiency by utilizing prima vera". But hang on mate, if you got to get that fat-as-yokozuna performance allowance, then you got to give the presentations. Its OK if the only thing you know about prima-vera is the spelling (that too in hindi), but you should seem to know a lot about it. "Confuse, if thou can't convince" is the motto.

3. SMILE : There can be circumstances when your trouser zip has kept your internals ventilated by humbly staying open with the lower part of the shirt popping out through the gap and you realize this only after giving a seminar to 100 employees OR your wife has started the morning by hitting you with all the armory available in the kitchen OR in the worst case, you have forgotten to wear a trouser -- then even in these circumstances, smile and if you can't do it naturally then force a smile.

4. SATISFY THE JOB : This is important. "Thou shalt satisfy the job before the job satisfies thee." Searching for job-satisfaction first day in office is like looking for 3 years pay in advance. Be good at what you are doing before you ask for doing what you are good at. If you do the opposite you typically realize that your skill set is null set.

And then there are some minor common-sense points which off-course everybody would take care like – "not asking your bosses sweet-sweet, kuchee-kuchee PA for a coffee despite the highest urge to do so" and "not discussing cricket while boss is discussing non-existent profit" and off course "don't keep a Sharon stone wallpaper and Pam screen saver". Pretend to be a good boy even if you are a bad man.

16 comments:

  1. ROTFL!

    is that experience speaking friend? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. whatever! an excellent post..i am still ROTFL..:-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tips for facing the world dude!
    And amusing too..
    Keep posting and giving us time-killers dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @anusha : Yup, experience does tend to speak over the period of time... this is firsthand learning

    @sayesha : thanx! :)

    @vivekanand : Thanx mate... one should mentain of the log of the lessons learnt..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha..Nice post mate.

    And hey Dude, congrats on your NMIMS results. Hopelessly belated, of course, but what the heck, NM is good.

    Do meet up with my pals Rohit Chaturvedi and Gagandeep Singh Jagpal who'll be joining you at NM. Both are from Cal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ shekhar : Thanks mate... yup i will sure try and contact them,,,

    ReplyDelete
  7. bribe attempts, kidnap-your-daughter / transfer-to-sukhliaa-gaav dhamakis and death threats.

    :)) dude u are too good ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ ankit: Thanx ankit...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on ur admission.. and all the best for ur course... Believe me being an MBA myself i know that u'll need all the luck in the world.. ;) Yet u'll serving the Best Days of ur Life... May u evolve into a leading manager someday... :)

    Luved all ur tips, esp the 3rd one. that one will wrk at all times..

    And yes.. I will not call u a PIG..
    ~grin~

    Keep up the pretensions..

    :)

    ..Me

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Rose : Thanks for the good wishes..and for not calling me a pig as well.. :-)) . I know, i have been riding my luck to get to this stage,,, i hope the celestial movements stay favorable... btw, u mentioned u have done an MBA. where from? where now?

    - "May u evolve into a leading manager someday... :)" -

    jee apke muh me ghee-shakkar, bhagwan apki jholee khushiyon se bhar de... ek hone wale MBA kee dua hai yeh...

    Amen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:31 AM

    mmm...some lessons to remember before my first job!

    Good humor! :D

    InnerVoice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed, very witty. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your wit *laughs*

    Congrats! for the admission

    Your experience will help many like me who will soon make a transition from cool collegelife to ouchful officelife

    Keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ innervoice : thanx,, sure shot lessons to be learnt

    @ spc freeman : Thanx

    @ tanvi : Thank you for wishes. yup these experiences would always help... even to a person like me whoz making a transition from a office life back to the college life... ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ kobra : I hope PG wodehouse dosnt read this comment or he would die of depression, LOL...

    man i hope i could write poems like you...intense , serene and yet so very simple...

    ReplyDelete